The Love Dare - Day 3

Day 3 - Love is Not Selfish

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10


Google defines selfishness as being devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others. Doesn't sound too good right?

The world around us teaches us to focus on our appearance, feelings, and personal desires as the top priority. The goal is to chase the highest level of our own possible happiness. This kind of thinking is not only dangerous to our marriages but in our life as well.

Selfishness is ingrained in us from birth -look at how children behave and adults treat others. Almost every single sinful act can be traced back to our own selfishness. It's a trait we hate about our spouses but justify in ourselves. We point out our husband's selfishness without taking a hard look in the mirror!! We have such high expectations for our other half but low standards for ourselves-not only are we hypocritical we are, again, selfish human beings.

We constantly put our own interests and desires before those of our spouse's. When we complain about meeting the needs of our man we are selfish! 

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
1 Corinthians 13:5

The bottom line is that you make decisions for others or yourself all the time. Why not make decisions based off of how someone else would feel about it. Now I don't mean just anybody. I mean your husband. How would he feel if you slept in today and didn't cook him breakfast? Think about his feelings rather than your own but don't do something good for him if the purpose is bragging rights or to receive something in return! 

Choosing to love your spouse means saying "no" to what you want and "yes" to what they need. Always put their happiness above your own. Love leads to inner joy and a fulfillment that can't be duplicated.

Today, just remember if you believe you are loving a selfish person, that they are loving a selfish person too! You know how hard it is so make it easy. Be the first person to demonstrate love with no selfishness.

  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I truly want what's best for my husband?
2. Do I want them to feel loved by me?
3. Do they believe I have their best interests in mind?
4. Do they see me as looking out for myself first?

Today's Dare:
Whatever you put your time, energy, and money into will become more important to you. It's hard to care for something you are not investing in. Along with restraining from negative comments, buy your spouse something that says, "I was thinking of you today." 

**If you can't buy something then spend some time making something thoughtful for your husband! **

{Yesterday's Dare for Me: I didn't say anything negative again! I discovered that my husband's whole demeanor is different when I'm kind to him -he isn't short with me or doesn't say anything negative to me either! Honestly, I didn't exactly do anything intentionally unexpected. I did give him more hugs and kisses than normal and I fixed his plate at dinner time and had it sitting on the table for him. It really is true that when you show kindness you get it back in return!! }

Comment when you complete today's dare! 

Hope you are having a great day!

Photobucket

If you like would like to have My Blessings at Home delivered to your inbox daily, click here: Subscribe to Blessings at Home . 
My Blessings at Home can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
All content © My Blessings at Home 2012.

2 comments:

Thank you for your participation in this conversation. Each and every comment is welcomed and appreciated.

This is a place where wives, moms, and keepers of the home can share their opinions and be themselves. Remember that each ladies' journey is little different so please keep all comments kind, respectful, and on topic.

If you feel that you can't offer a constructive comment please feel free to email me so that we can discuss what's on your mind.