The Love Dare -Day One

Day One - Love is Patient

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

The following is paraphrased from The Love Dare:

We are born with a need for love. Our hearts desperately want it. Love changes everything in our lives. Relationships have purpose with it and no marriage is successful without it. Love has such a deep meaning in all of our lives and motivates us to do wonderful things. It does what is best for others and can give us strength to do what otherwise we wouldn't without it.

Love is built on two cornerstones -patience and kindness. Google defines patience as the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset and kindness as the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.

When you choose to be patient, you respond in a positive way to a negative situation.  You are slow to anger and choose a long fuse over a short temper. Patience settles you down and begins to extend mercy to those around you -it brings an internal calm to an external storm.

An impatient person easily overreacts in angry, foolish, and regrettable ways. Anger toward a wrongful actions brings new wrongs of its own. Anger never makes a situation better and almost always makes it worse. 

Patience stops problems in their tracks and allows people to be human. Lack of patience will turn your home into a war zone. Anger comes from not getting what you want -selfishness. 

{Again, I can't write word for word what the book says so if you would like to read all of it then you would have to buy the book}

*************************************

I'll admit it now that I am not a patient person by any definition. I have a short fuse and am quick to anger. This alone has caused so many problems in our marriage. I react in a negative way to situations that aren't even that important. I often times don't give him the chance to really say what is on his mind without having my own commentary about it. Patience is definitely something that doesn't come naturally to me. 

I want my husband to trust that he can always come to me with anything and be met with understanding rather than quick-tempered words. 

This is my reason for wanting to complete The Love Dare. 


Today's Dare:
The first part of this dare is fairly simple. Although love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say NOTHING NEGATIVE to your spouse AT ALL. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you will regret.
If you are participating in The Love Dare with me, please comment when you've completed today's dare. Did anything happen today to cause anger toward your spouse? Were you tempted to say negative words?

Photobucket

If you like would like to have My Blessings at Home delivered to your inbox daily, click here: Subscribe to Blessings at Home . 
My Blessings at Home can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
All content © My Blessings at Home 2012.

4 comments:

  1. This is an excellent book and doing the things suggested in it will encourage our marriages. Thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! And the day was great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that this is for today. I thought for some reason that we started yesterday, so tho I couldnt find this blog, I started yesterday. To keep up to date I will do day 1 again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was for yesterday! Today's isn't up yet...have had some internet issues today! Working on it now!

      Delete

Thank you for your participation in this conversation. Each and every comment is welcomed and appreciated.

This is a place where wives, moms, and keepers of the home can share their opinions and be themselves. Remember that each ladies' journey is little different so please keep all comments kind, respectful, and on topic.

If you feel that you can't offer a constructive comment please feel free to email me so that we can discuss what's on your mind.